Areas Of Practice
- Litigation & Appeals
- Accidents & Injuries
- Construction Accident
- Insurance - - Defense
- Insurance Law
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Dangerous Products
- Consumer Rights
- Directors & Officer's Liability
- Municipal Liability Defense
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist
- Medical Malpractice
- Legal Malpractice
Honors and Awards
Professional Associations and Memberships
Mr. Franco represents both plaintiffs and defendants in complex civil litigation cases ranging from insurance bad faith to professional malpractice, nursing home negligence, catastrophic injury/wrongful death, AZ Department of Child Safety ("DCS") Negligence [formerly known as Child Protective Services ("CPS")], as well as motorcycle, trucking and construction related injury cases. He has extensive experience representing businesses, insurance companies, individuals insured by insurance companies, self-insured companies, traffic control companies and municipalities as well as individual victims of torts in general including children and vulnerable adults.
Mr. Franco joined the firm in 1996 and became a partner in 1998. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Franco was a trial attorney for State Farm Insurance Co., with its in-house law firm, where he obtained extensive litigation and trial experience. Mr. Franco holds certifications from the National Institute of Trial Advocacy (1995) and from the Arizona College of Trial Advocacy (1994).
In March 2007, Mr. Franco was appointed as adjunct faculty to the Phoenix School of Law to teach general litigation and trial practice skills to third year law students preparing to graduate and enter the practice of law. In July 2013 Mr. Franco was also appointed as faculty for the State Bar of Arizona College of Trial Advocacy where he instructs lawyers on the topic of trial practice skills.
Mr. Franco has earned the AV Rating with Martindale Hubbell®.
Mr. Franco is fluent in Spanish.
- $250,000 settlement (2016) against State of Arizona - Department of Child Safety (DCS f/k/a CPS) on behalf of an abused and injured minor whom DCS/CPS failed to protect.
- $1,700,000 damages verdict (2016) in a case against the State of Arizona - Department of Public Safety (DPS) arising from DPS' negligent response to a collision, causing a severe secondary freeway accident.
- $350,000 Medical malpractice settlement (2014) on behalf of a surgical patient who was permanently injured and scarred in a failed laparoscopic bilateral ovarian cystectomy.
- Defense Verdict (2012) on behalf of Maricopa County in a $1,750,000 wrongful death case brought by the parents of a deceased teenage boy in a case alleging the negligent design of a county roadway.
- Defense Verdict (2010) on behalf of Maricopa County in a $2,000,000 property damage law suit brought by the homeowners of a flooded property.
- $5,000,000 medical malpractice settlement (2010) on behalf of a deceased father's wife and son.
- $875,000 Jury verdict (2009) against State of Arizona - Child Protective Services (CPS) on behalf of a father for the wrongful death of his daughter, which resulted from the neglect of her drug and alcohol dependent mother. This case resulted in the enactment of legislation known as Haley's Law.
- $250,000 settlement (2009) against State of Arizona - Child Protective Services (CPS) on behalf of a mother for the wrongful death of her 5-year old son who was given a lethal dose of prescription SOMA while in the custody of his disturbed father in an attempted murder/suicide.
- Directed verdict obtained (2008) on behalf of the Maricopa County Department of Transportation and Flood Control District in a $1.5 million lawsuit brought by homeowners alleging property damage resulting from County roadway maintenance coupled with flood control issues.
- Million dollar settlement (2008) against State of Arizona - Child Protective Services (CPS) on behalf of a young mother for the wrongful death of her two children killed by their father.
- $752,500 settlement (2007) obtained against a Louisiana commercial motor carrier on behalf of a client who sustained catastrophic injuries in a freeway trucking accident where, after extensive lien negotiations, the settlement yielded a net equivalency of $1 million for the client
- Million dollar settlement (2006) against a Utah construction company, reached on behalf of a job foreman who sustained permanent and disfiguring leg burns and crush injuries when he was struck and pinned by an out of control piece of construction equipment.
- $7,500,000 wrongful death verdict (2004) against State of Arizona - Child Protective Services (CPS) following the death and severe beating of two sisters ages 3 and 20 months. The largest Arizona tort trial verdict in 2004.
- Mr. Franco has also had vast experience representing traffic control companies and the traffic control industry in all aspects of their business and industry, from drafting or reviewing Non-Compete Agreements, to revising company policies and procedures, defending job site injury cases, representing them in contract disputes and administrative hearings, and offering general advice and guidance on every day business, liability and risk management matters.
- Mr. Franco represents various restaurants and businesses in defending claims of negligence, sexual assault, dram shop liability, wrongful death and premises liability.
- Mr. Franco has also successfully defended and prosecuted numerous insurance bad faith claims.
- Mr. Franco also represents numerous public entities and municipalities in matters of general liability. Engagements include representation of flood control districts, irrigation districts, health care districts and departments, correctional health, Board of Supervisors and Department of Transportation.
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Lansing, Michigan
- J.D. - 1991
- Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania
- B.A. - 1985
Honors and Awards
- Arizona's top 100 trial lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers
- Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- AV Rating by Martindale Hubbell
- Arizona's Finest Lawyers, Sustaining Member
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Arizona, Trial Practice Section
- State Bar of Arizona, Tort & Insurance Practice Section
- Maricopa County Bar Association
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel